Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 18:54:13 +0300

> Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 17:04:54 +0200
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
> Cc: Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org>, casouri@gmail.com, joaotavora@gmail.com,
>       emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> >I don't agree with Stefan, if this interpretation of what he said is
> >correct.  We have window-text-pixel-size to measure the size of text
> >on display without redoing what redisplay does.
>
> Hi Eli that's what I have been doing so far, but the approach looks a
> bit too complex.

I don't see a call to window-text-pixel-size.  I see calls to
string-width, which is less accurate.

> It is actually not, but I understand that a better
> simpler one is desirable.

"An implementation should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."

> Any way it seems to me a bit buggy that (only) the prompt disappears in
> this situation

Not the prompt disappears, the entire text of the buffer disappears
from view.  What is left is the text of the after-string from an
overlay.  That's because the window-start of the mini-window is set at
EOB of the minibuffer.