Re: Tests and linting not coupled to one file

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Tests and linting not coupled to one file
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 15:38:17 +0200

> That's a fair point.  Likely they would not be aware of "test/misc" at
> first.  OTOH we could document it in "test/file-organization.org".
>
> Here's three scenarios where adding a test to the existing files might
> not make sense:

[...]

> That said, if we can find a way to shoe-horn the stuff we need into the
> existing test suite without it being overly ugly, it's perfectly fine by
> me.  Perhaps that would be less ugly than adding a new "test/misc"
> directory.

There's certainly something to be said for consistency here: If we're
looking for a test of something in foo.el, we look in
lisp/foo-tests.el.  And as you point out, cross-cutting linter stuff
doesn't really fit into that scheme at all.

So upon further consideration, I agree with you that adding a test/misc
directory would be better in the long term.