Re: Opening Up More Keymaps Re: Standardizing more key bindings?

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Opening Up More Keymaps Re: Standardizing more key bindings?
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 19:29:12 +0200

Le mer. 30 sept. 2020 à 18:58, T.V Raman <raman@google.com> a écrit :

> Almost as courageous as Lars' request to change line-length limits
> (hopefully not quite as controversial)
>
> Perhaps it's time we opened up some additional keymaps so that we can
> experiment with  keybindings without causing too much trouble for
> long-term users.

I don't understand the purpose. Would those new keymaps be for temporary, experimental, bindings, to be later moved to a better position? Or would they be meant to be eventually used by default?

> Proposal:
>
> 1. C-z as a prefix --- at present c-z   runs suspend-frame under X, and
>    suspends Emacs on the console.
>
>    Perhaps turn C-z into a new prefix key, and bind the above commands
>    to C-z z -- that gives us a whole new keymap to play with for the
>    future.

I personally like to have C-z free. I use it when I need to pass keypresses to applications without caring about Emacs missing them. For instance my Screen prefix key is C-z. Suspend-frame is bound to C-x C-z (which makes sense to me with the other C-x bindings). So I would immediately undo such a change in my configuration.

More importantly, C-z suspending the terminal application is a common binding. One could argue that we have enough trouble with non-standard bindings in Emacs not to add more now.

Maybe this behaviour could be preserved in non-GUI interfaces and the (hypothetical) C-z key reserved for commands which only make sense in a graphical setting? I cannot think of a single such command at the moment, though.

>    2. F2 is currently taken up by 2c (2column support) and perhaps it's
>       time to recover that key, I suspect 2c is not as heavily used to
>       justify a common key like F2, and it would still have C-x6
>       dedicated to it if we take F2 away from it.

I just tried <f2>-s to see what it is about, now my Emacs is frozen (100% CPU). As far as I'm concerned this key can (and will) die tomorrow. :)