Re: master 262d0c6: Mark some tests as expensive

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 262d0c6: Mark some tests as expensive
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 11:15:10 -0700

Hi Michael,

>> It does seem unfortunate that no tests run for autorevert-mode in the
>> default case.  I have a patch in the works that will reduce the running
>> time for these tests, I will send it here when it's done.  (Basically
>> the patch would temporarily lower auto-revert-interval, remove sleeps
>> and manually set mtime to lower values than the current time.)
>
> Would be helpful. However, there have been discussions (and changes) of
> the timeouts in the past, so I'm not sure we can reduce them w/o causing
> damage. Please check the git history of autorevert-tests.el for such
> changes, hopefully there are bug numbers in the git log you could consult
> for the respective discussions. Otherwise, a search on the emacs-devel
> and emacs-bugs MLs for the given timeframe of such a change might be helpful.

So I have attached here a patch that employs the above mentioned
techniques somewhat aggressively to reduce the running time as follows:

Ran 7 tests, 7 results as expected, 0 unexpected (2020-10-18
19:38:29+0200, 2.323729 sec)

Everything works fine here, but I don't know if any of this would cause
any problems elsewhere.  One idea is to just push it and see what
breaks, and then adapt accordingly.

Please let me know what you think.

(Note that the patch takes care to not re-indent any of the tests in
order to be easier to review.)

---

Also, I've had some trouble finding the past discussions about this.
I've been looking for "auto-revert-tests", "autorevert-tests",
"autorevert-tests.el" and "auto-revert-interval" in both emacs-devel and
bug-gnu-emacs.  The only bugs I was able to dig up was:

But I'm not sure if any of that is even relevant here.  Let me know if
you have any ideas for what I could look for.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas