Re: Recentish C-s M-y change

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Recentish C-s M-y change
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2021 09:15:04 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: ams@gnu.org, larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>       drew.adams@oracle.com, juri@linkov.net
> Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2021 00:34:04 -0500
>
> I probably won't read a thread that discusses how to fix a bug.
> I would not expect a decision about a change in features to be
> made in such a thread.

That expectation is incorrect, both factually and in principle.
People tend to continue a discussion thread even when it wanders far
away of the original topic or issue.  Calls to change the Subject when
that happens have only very limited success.  Such is life.

> Thus I propose a rule, which I hope people will remember to apply,
> that if a change in features has been discussed inside a thread
> about a specific bug, always to raise the issue on emacs-devel
> afterward.

As a guideline, I could agree.  But as an enforced rule, I don't think
this will fly, and I don't think we should waste our limited resources
to try enforcing it.