Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 21:09:32 -0500

>> Yes, but GPL-compatibility isn't what we were debating, is it?  The
>> claim was that nmap is non-free.
> Violating the four freedoms makes a license non-free, thereby having GPL
> incompatibility as a side effect.

I suggest you look a bit closer: the license was changed quite recently,
and since the issue was brought up, the maintainers have clarified the
intent, making it clear that the problems in the license are *not*
intended are there is every reason to believe that they will be
fixed soon.

So, `nmap` has always been Free Software and the maintainers still want
to keep it that way.  The current license has *bugs*, that's it.

        Stefan