Re: Confused by y-or-n-p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Confused by y-or-n-p
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 17:16:55 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: rudalics@gmx.at, larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>       drew.adams@oracle.com, juri@linkov.net
> Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 00:01:17 -0500
>
>   > What is the basis for your impression that such a tendency exists?
>
> I've pointed out the steps of the pathway.
>
> 1. A bug is reported.  Most of us are not interested in fixing that bug
>    so we don't read the messages about it.
> 2. People discussing it in the bug thread propose
>    and agree on a certain change.
> 3. It happens to be a change in user interface.
> 4. They implement it without ever discussing it on emacs-devel.
> 5. Before we notice the change, a new release is made.
> 6. Some of us object and we are told, "Because this change has been in a
>    release, we will not undo it (or even revert the default) unless there
>    are strong objections."
>
> How often does this happen?  I don't know.

Extremely rare, IME.

> But why let it happen?

If someone can come up with a solution that doesn't impose too heavy
overhead, we should definitely consider it.  None of the solutions
proposed until now fulfills that requirement, so the simple solution I
proposed -- to read bug-gnu-emacs in addition to emacs-devel -- still
wins.