Re: did the abbrev mechanism ever expand «two words» to «two different w

From: Uwe Brauer
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2021 14:28:25 +0100

>>> "RP" == Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>> Thanks, I read the documentation but I am unable to figure out, what
>> regexp has to be used for that regexp I should use in order to make a
>> two word expansion work.
>>
>> All regexp I tried returned error.
>>
>> So this
>>
>> (define-abbrev-table 'fundamental-mode-abbrev-table
>> '(
>> ("a que" "a qué" :regexp 1 :count 0)))
>>

>> Does not return error but does not work as well.
>>

> You've forgotten the 'hook' argument in the abbrev definition. Also,
> :regexp is a property for the whole table, so you need something like
> this:

> (define-abbrev-table 'fundamental-mode-abbrev-table
>   '(
>     ("a que" "a qué" nil :count 0))
>   "Uwe's table"
>   :regexp "\\(\\w+ ?\\w+\\)")

> (I agree the documentation could be clearer)

Thanks but it did not work.
I am using emacs (28) master
commit
"84ec57fe06e187f41a3546131d5dae3b185c3511"

I overwrote my complete fundamental-mode-abbrev-table
with your suggestion and restarted emacs
(BTW edit-abbrev did not show the regexp)

In any case

 a que was not expanded to a qué

To make matter worse, I added your suggestion to my old
fundamental-mode-abbrev-table restarted emacs and then *nothing* was
expanded.

I am puzzled

Uwe