Re: ai_flags in calls to getaddrinfo, broader call for reproducibility c

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ai_flags in calls to getaddrinfo, broader call for reproducibility check
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 22:41:43 +0200

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Cc: Robin Tarsiger <rtt@dasyatidae.com>,  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 21:12:44 +0100

> >> Because the select implementation on windows does a one-byte readahead
> >> to see if data is available, which breaks UDP. I had a patch at one
> >> point to fix this, but I remember Eli not being very enthusiastic
> >> about it. Iʼve attached what I think is the right version below (my
> >> windows box died, so I can't be sure)
> >
> > How 'bout installing it but make it conditional on some config var?
> > And maybe set that config var if/when a UDP socket is requested?
>
> I guess thatʼs possible. Iʼve now found the actual patch. If Eli
> thinks itʼs worth persuing, I can make it conditional, unless someone
> wants to spare me the trouble of setting up a working Windows dev
> environment :-).

My main concern is who will investigate the bug reports about this,
debug the problem, find fixes, etc.?  If you or Stefan or someone else
volunteers, then please go ahead.  But if you count on me, implicitly
or otherwise, then let's wait for a volunteer to emerge.  Especially
in this area, where I'm far from being an expert.  Don't forget that
two threads are involved in this game, which provides ample
opportunity for exciting deadlocks and races, apart of
network-specific issues.

(I'm sorry, but too often lately I'm the only one who gets to debug
and fix MS-Windows specific issues; if I don't do that, the build
remains broken for days.  It's too much of a burden on me, and takes a
significant enough fraction of my time that I must be very cautious
with adventures.  Otherwise, I won't be able to do my main job here,
which I already am barely capable of doing.)