Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 01:14:44 -0500

  > For example, the tarball of org-mode as released by upstream [1]
  > contains Relax-NG schemas [2] distributed under a license that doesn't
  > allow modification. Does that make org-mode a non-free package?

That is an important question, but I don't know the answer.
Can you tell me what a Relax-NG schema is, and what it does?
With that information I should be able to understand the issue.

  > Another example is the intlfonts package [3], which contains some
  > Tibetan fonts with a non-commercial restriction.

It took time for me to reach Handa; he will investigate this.

Problems like this are important, and we need to look at them one by one.
A distro can fix the problem in various ways, but what we really should
aim for is get them fixed upstream.

It sounds like you are in a position to report many such problems.
Would you like to help with a long-term effort to get such problems
fixed upstream?

--
Dr Richard Stallman