Re: [feature/internal-msys] thoughts of a more function windows package

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [feature/internal-msys] thoughts of a more function windows package
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 22:13:07 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > They mostly work, until they don't.  Like with Cygwin, there are
>> > subtle incompatibilities, mainly in file names and in communications
>> > with subprocesses and response to "signals".  Encoding defaults are
>> > also different.
>>
>> That's true for the msys2 commands but not the mingw64 ones?
>
> Yes.  That's why I asked about msys-1.0.dll: the programs that depend
> on that aren't mingw64 (native) programs.

But, mingw64 does not have all the packages I need.

How do people use Emacs on windows? I mean, do they install find, ls,
git, aspell and all the rest by hand? It's been a long time since I have
done it.

>> > The only way I know of is to distribute a program that writes into the
>> > Registry.  Don't forget that there are system-wide variables and
>> > variables specific to the current user.  And some systems have the
>> > former locked down and the latter requires a UAC elevation.  Good luck
>> > (you will need it) with successfully negotiating all these obstacles.
>>
>> Would it be easier to have Emacs allow me to successfully update PATH
>> during run?
>
> Update how?

Using some magic that doesn't exist at the current time. I mean a way
like did (by fiddling with setenv) that doesn't suffer the problems that
it causes.

Phil