Re: newline-and-indent vs. electric-indent-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: newline-and-indent vs. electric-indent-mode
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 09:36:14 -0500

> IIRC the way to deal with it was that if the next event after a
> newline-and-indent is *not* a self-insert-command, then empty whitespace
> on that line should have be cleaned up.

I don't think there's ever been such a behavior in Emacs's defaults.
But I'd welcome patches which implement that functionality (tho
I don't think it should special case `self-insert-command`).

Dmitry mentions:
> I've always had to use a third-party mode to clean up that whitespace, such
> as https://github.com/purcell/whitespace-cleanup-mode (most recently).

The problem with `whitespace-cleanup-mode` is that it's global.
I'd like something that only operates locally, i.e. only touches lines
you've modified.

        Stefan