Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 00:59:10 -0500

  > > I think they are software, because they could be modified within an
  > > infinite space of possibilities.

  > A picture can be modified within an infinite space of possibilities. A
  > book can be modified. A mathematical equation can be modified.

That is true, but you've taken the question I raised for myself out of
its context.  The real question is, "In the context, is there any
doubt that this is a piece of software?  If not, what else could it
be?

I think it is clear that a specification of a data structure, meant to
guide a program's operation on that data, is software.  It is
comparable to a bunch of struct and enum declarations which is how we
use C header files to show the structure of other data.

It may be true that any changes you make in these schemas would be
tightly constrained _if you want them to interoperate with ODF_.  The
same is true for system header files, as long as you're going to use
with GNU libc.  The latter must be under a free license, and for the same
reasons the former also.

--
Dr Richard Stallman