Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Re: policy discussion on bundling ELPA packages in the emacs tarball
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 17:34:48 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org,  phillip.lord@russet.org.uk,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 10:25:20 -0500
>
> >> I think we'll only want to bundle a few specific packages, and I think
> >> it might be simpler to keep a copy of those specific packages in
> >> emacs.git
> > Does this mean you are backing up from the consensus of using
> > submodules?
>
> I don't think it does, no.

I guess I'm confused.

> For example, ada-mode would be kept inside emacs.git in the branch
> `elpa/ada-mode`, and then you could do
>
>    git submodule add -b elpa/ada-mode .../emacs.git where/I/want/to/put/it

AFAIU, "add -b" names a branch in the repository _from_which_ we add
(i.e. the upstream), which in this case is elpa.git.  So I don't think
I understand how your previous sentence:

   ada-mode would be kept inside emacs.git in the branch
   `elpa/ada-mode`

can be reconciled with the Git command you show.  What did I miss?

In any case, if elpa/ada-mode is a branch within emacs.git, then how
can we build some branch of Emacs in a way that includes ada-mode, or
produce a tarball from that Emacs branch?  For example, emacs-NN
release branch will be different from the elpa/ada-mode branch, and we
can never have them together unless we merge them in Git, which is
probably not what we want?