Re: POLL: make C-x o transient

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: POLL: make C-x o transient
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 21:27:53 +0000

IMO it is would be much better to map the existing repeat command to a single keystroke, it would make any command repeatable without changing anything else, and it already handles universal arguments. I think C-= would be the best key for this

FWIW, one of the reasons Zhiwei gave for his initial "C-x o o o…" proposal was:

2. Reduce the probability of RSI

I'm assuming this would stem from having to hit Control less often.

Not that we couldn't have both a repeatable C-x o *and* bind C-= to repeat; I merely want to point out that C-x o C-= wouldn't fully satisfy the OP's requirements.

IIUC, what the OP said is that hitting C-x o multiple times is painful, because it requires releasing and pressing the control key mutiple times. For example C-x o C-x o C-x o C-x o requires pressing and releasing the control key three times. With C-= bound to "repeat", you could achieve the same effect with C-x o C-= C-= C-=, which requires releasing and pressing the control key only once. You could also achieve the same effect with C-x o C-= C-= C-= C-= C-- C-=, which also requires releasing and pressing the control key only once.