Re: master ae7fe26 1/3: ; Fix my previous commit

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master ae7fe26 1/3: ; Fix my previous commit
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 00:09:31 -0500

>> The problem is that most of the `defun`s in this file are not at top
>> level but inside a `when`.  This is ugly and should be fixed.
> Yes, that was my diagnosis as well.  I suppose one could argue that this
> warning is a bug,

It's definitely a limitation that occasionally gets in the way.

> BTW, is there any reason why the modes in generic-x.el are not
> autoloaded and in auto-mode-alist?  I did not know that (require
> 'generic-x) was a thing until today, and I do remember at times missing
> the syntax highlighting of some of the files it supports.

Probably because they're all pretty lame?
I think they should all be rewritten to use define-derived-mode and
generic.el should then be marked obsolete.  But this requires first
providing some way to set the comment syntax more-or-less as
conveniently as done with define-generic-mode.

        Stefan