Re: [External] : Re: POLL: make C-x o transient

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: POLL: make C-x o transient
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 17:49:30 +0000

Hello, Drew.

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 17:32:48 +0000, Drew Adams wrote:
> > > Which will make `C-x o` invoke a transient version of
> > > `other-window' like `text-scale-adjust’ does.

> > I would really like to have "C-x o o o o" feature to cycle through
> > frame's windows. I think one cycling direction is enough because frames
> > don't usually have large number of windows. On the other hand even "C-x
> > o o" is much nicer than "C-x o C-x o".

> Agreed.  We should bind a _repeatable_ version
> of `other-window' to `C-x o'.

I personally find even one C-x o to be an annoyance.  So I've bound
other-window to F12.  (My other Fn keys are for switching to frame Fn.)

> And we should consider doing likewise for
> other non-repeatable commands where it makes
> sense: give their existing bindings to
> repeatable versions.

> (You can of course already, today, use
> `C-x o C-x z z z z...'.  Not a big difference
> from `C-x o o o o o': Just add a `C-x' and
> repeat `z' instead of `o'.)

That's not a small difference, either.  I think most repeated commands
are going to be repeated a small number of times, like once, or possibly
twice.  C-x o C-x z isn't saving anything over C-x o C-x o.  By the time
you're up to C-x o C-x z z z z, you've probably already reached for the
mouse and clicked in the target window.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).