Re: Git master head build failure?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Git master head build failure?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 12:00:34 +0300

> From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 19:34:12 +1100
>
> >>     rm /home/tim/git/emacs/lisp/cedet/semantic/bovine/c-by.el
> >>
> >> might help,
> >
> > This should be added to the 'extraclean' target, IMO (together with
> > all the other generated files in lisp/cedet).
>
> Do you mean 'maintainer-clean'?

no, I meant 'extracklean'.

> I wasn't aware of 'extraclean' and it is not listed in 'make help'.

Another nit to fix, I guess.

> Help does say about maintainer-clean
>
> 'delete almost everything that can be regenerated'

That "almost" is there for a reason.

> which I think would include those CEDET files (and probably many of the
> other files listed in .gitignore).

Not in this project, no.  maintainer-clean leaves some generated files
that we decided not to remove unless explicitly required.  Switching
to a branch that has diverged significantly from the previous one is a
relatively rare use case, so removing those files would mean
unnecessarily longer builds.