Re: Git master head build failure?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Git master head build failure?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 11:32:18 -0400

> I never use "make bootstrap": does that mean it isn't important either? ;-)

I almost never *run* `make bootstrap` either, but I do *use* it quite
frequently in emails as the standard tool to solve other people's
build problems.

> Seriously, though: this depends on your workflows.  AFAIU most people
> do "make bootstrap" to solve problems with Lisp macro expansions, and
> for that forcing them to regenerate every single file that isn't
> versioned is not the best idea.  If you want to start from a pristine
> clone, just clone a new worktree.

I agree there's a tension.  But I'm beginning to think that
bootstrap-clean should remove the handful of generated *-by.el and
*-wy.el files (tho an alternative would be to improve the dependency
info so that they get regenerated when their generator's code changes,
which would arguably be even better).

        Stefan