Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: dw.el

From: D
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: dw.el
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 19:45:01 +0200

> Indeed, that's the idea (tho, the packages don't have to be large).
>
> If a package can be added to GNU ELPA instead of NonGNU ELPA, then it is
> very much preferable.

I've been thinking about this for a bit, and was wondering about two
things regarding nongnu ELPA in this case (This is more off-topic/more
general, so I'm not sure if I should take this particular train of
thought to emacs-tangents/change the subject line).  On the one hand, if
that's the intent, wouldn't it be best to have that intent reflected in
nongnu ELPA's README in some way?  Because while I was vaguely aware of
this because I knew of the ML thread, to an outside observer NonGNU may
come off as a built-in package archive more conceptually adjacent to
MELPA. On the other hand, while nongnu primarily seeks out (we could say
high-profile) packages that can't be added to ELPA (yet), doesn't have
the existence of nongnu immense potential as it lowers the perceived
barrier of entry for package developers? If tapped, it could greatly
incentivize the "primary targets" (network effect).