Re: [GNU ELPA] New package proposal: aggressive-completion.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [GNU ELPA] New package proposal: aggressive-completion.el
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 20:29:55 +0200

>> I'd like to propose the attached aggressive-completion.el as a new
>> GNU ELPA package.
>
> Sounds very nice, thank you.  Let me know if you need help adding it
> to GNU ELPA.

I didn't need help but please repair the repository now. ;-)
Fun aside, the eagle has landed!

BTW, the top-level README isn't up-to-date, right?  It still talks about
the master branch which is now main.  I'll fix that later.

And I've missed some instructions for the simple case where I add a
package that lives and only lives in elpa.git.  I ended up with

  git checkout --orphan externals/aggressive-completion
  git rm -rf .
  rm -rf admin/ packages/ .pkg-descs.mk GNUMakefile
  cp ~/aggressive-completion.el .
  git add aggressive-completion.el
  git commit & push

Especially the third step is bad because it nukes the admin worktree and
the worktrees in packages/.  Well, I could have skipped that step and
just be careful not to stage and commit anything of those...

Is there no git command to just create an empty orphan branch and not
switch to it so that one can immediately create a worktree with it
without nuking the ones one already has?

Bye,
Tassilo