Re: [GNU ELPA] New package proposal: aggressive-completion.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [GNU ELPA] New package proposal: aggressive-completion.el
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 09:01:21 +0200

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> I use ido and ido-completing-read+ and  just tried this new package, was
> But installing it from elpa and enabling it as documented made no
> perceptible difference in the minibuffer with commands like find-file,

Indeed, it doesn't do anything when ido is enabled.  The reason is that
it only adds its manchinery if `minibuffer-completion-table' is non-nil
which seemed to be the right thing to check that we read something
completable from the minibuffer.  With ido enabled, it is always nil, at
least for `find-file' and `switch-to-buffer'.

That said, I'm not sure if it would be a useful extension to enable
together with ido.  With ido, you already see (some) possible
completions, and ido also doesn't complete with stock
`minibuffer-complete' as `aggressive-completion-mode' does but it has
its own `ido-complete' which also tracks state important for ido such as
the current directory...

Bye,
Tassilo