RE: [External] : Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 21:18:39 +0000

> > 1) Are there any option to move the cursor to the start of the candidate
> > after the search? I see that there is an isearch-other-end. But it is
> > not a custom but an internal variable. Now I am using a hook but it
> > seems a bit hacky.
>
> As you see from the discussion, adding a defcustom makes little sense,
> because this feature might be needed only occasionally, so better
> to be bound to a special key, e.g. C-RET to exit and move to other-end,
> S-RET to exit and mark the found string as a region.

FWIW, I don't see that from "the discussion".  I see
that that's what you proposed.  I described something
different, and I opposed binding keys for what you
describe.

For something that you yourself claim might be needed
only occasionally, there's no reason to add a key for
that, let alone two keys.

In particular, I'm not in favor of adding keys for
exiting + performing an action.  Better to add keys
for toggling some search behavior, and leave exiting
keys as they are.

There are many keys to exit search, and there's no
reason to suppose that they shouldn't perform the
particular action you have in mind, and instead that
only some other dedicated key should perform that
action.

In general, it's better to have a variable that
defines the action, and a key that toggles it.

That way, users can themselves decide whether or not
to continue having it be in effect - they can switch
it on/off on the fly anytime during search.  And they
can continue to use any of the keys they usually use
to exit the search, and have those keys also effect
the action.