Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 19:10:55 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 10:18:23 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I intend to finish this up and push this to master in the next couple of
> days.  Please send any further comments soon, or we will have to
> consider them after this lands on master.  Thanks in advance.

You mean, comments to the one and only patch you posted?  I have some:

> -                 (pop-to-buffer " *Metahelp*" nil t)
> +                 (pop-to-buffer " *Help Overview*" nil t)

The change in the buffer's name is gratuitous, so I'd prefer not doing
that.  Who knows what 3rd-party packages or user-local commands could
depend on that?

> +(defface help-for-help-binding-argument '((t :foreground "PaleGreen3"))
> +  "Face used for headers in the `help-for-help' buffer."
> +  :group 'help)

Is this a good face definition for all the supported terminals and
both the light and dark backgrounds?  IMO, it looks too pale on the
default light background in a GUI session, at least.  And green shade
is a strange color for this purpose anyway.

> +    '(("Getting Help"

I'd use something like "Describe and Find Commands, Keys, Functions".

> +      ("Info Manuals"

Just "Manuals" is better, IMO: newbies don't necessarily know what is
"Info".

> +       ("Info-goto-emacs-key-command-node" "KEYS"
> +        "Show Emacs manual section for command bound to key")
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"for a key sequence" is better, IMO.

> +       ("info" nil "Show all included manuals")

That's inaccurate.  "Show top-level menu of all installed manuals",
perhaps?

> +       ("info-display-manual" "MANUAL" "Show given manual")

"given"? by whom?  How about "Read a specific manual"?

> +       ("info-lookup-symbol" "SYMBOL"
> +        "Find symbol in Info manual for current programming language"))

"Show description of symbol in pertinent manual"

> +      ("Misc Help"

"Other Help commands"

> +      ("Help Files"

"Misc"