RE: [External] : Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Stepping Back: A Wealth Of Completion systems Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 18:19:04 +0000

> > I agree that hierarchical selection can be useful when browsing
> > through a structure. However when doing a quick selection, I perceive
> > it as slower. For example there is imenu, where you have to step
> > through multiple layers of the hierarchy to reach the destination.
>
> Well that is because imenu presents the options in the minibuffer, and
> you have to go through the menu step-by-step. What I'm talking about is
> a direct hierarchical visualisation, that should be navigable with the
> intuitiveness of org-mode.

The difference you're describing is like the difference
between `tmm-menubar' (which makes you navigate down a
menubar tree step by step) and La Carte, which lets you
do that or not.  Completion candidates are full paths
to menu items.

With a reasonable completion system (even just substring
matching helps) you can type a pattern that shows submenus
and menu items at any level.  You can get directly to a
given item with a single pattern, if you want.

(But it's typically better to combine simple patterns
than to try to provide an exact complex pattern to match
what you want.)

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LaCarte