Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 05:57:38 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > "Show description of symbol in pertinent manual"
>>
>> FWIW, the docstring of info-lookup-symbol uses the term
>> "relevant manual"
>
> Yes, I considered that alternative.  But IMO "relevant" is a
> problematic word.

I found an interesting discussion online suggesting that the only
difference is that "pertinent" is stronger than "relevant":

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/211792/pertinent-versus-relevant-whats-the-usage-difference

I'm not sure it matters much which one we use.  I slightly prefer
"relevant" as it is the more common word (and therefore easier to
understand for non-native speakers of English), but I'm fine with
"pertinent" too.