Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 15:25:08 +0000

After the first "M-s M->", why do you keep pressing "M-x M->"? why not C-s?

Why would it not be possible to jump to the last occurrence in the buffer when searching forward?

How on earth could such a behavior be considered a feature?

That's not the scenario I had in mind.

But if you want the above to be useful, why not ask whoever implemented that the question about the rationale? And since when are we fixing a buggy behavior by modifying it in weird unexpected ways?

I don't understand your questions. This is not the behavior of isearch-{beginning,end}-of-buffer, this would be the behavior if the search direction did not change. The actual behavior is what one would expect, M-s M-< and M-s M-> have the exact same effect after C-s and C-r, with point after the occurrence and before the last occurrence respectively.

Do I understand correctly that what you would have wanted is the following:

1. M-s M-< after C-s: point after the first occurrence (search direction
forward)
2. M-s M-> after C-s: point after the last occurrence (search direction forward)
3. M-s M-< after C-r: point before the first occurrence (search direction
backward)
4. M-s M-> after C-r: point before the last occurrence (search direction
backward)

What we have now is 1 and 4, but not 2 and 3, what we have instead is:

2. M-s M-> after C-s: point before the last occurrence (search direction
backward)
3. M-s M-< after C-r: point after the first occurrence (search direction
backward)

Is this subtle nuance really important? Isn't the most likely search direction one would want to use at BOB forward, and at EOB backward? The other options are at BOB backward and at EOB forward, but this means wrapping, that is, doing what one could have done immediately with 1 and 4 above...