Re: Using more and/or better icons in Emacs

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Using more and/or better icons in Emacs
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 05:56:32 -0500

Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:

>> Hmm, I'm now testing simply using this, with width and height set to 1em
>> in the SVG file:
>>
>> (insert-image (create-image "material/action/ic_search_24px.svg" 'svg nil
>>                             :ascent 'center))
>>
>> And it seems to do precisely the correct thing, as well as work with
>> `text-scale-adjust'.  So perhaps that's the winner?
>
> Yes, sorry, I seem to have caused some confusion. I thought you were
> asking how to do the same thing without modifying the files. I don't
> know how to do the exact same thing, because as you say they don't
> scale with the text on the fly, but it's as near as I've been able to
> get.

Well, I might be the cause for that as I was going back and forth a bit
as I was experimenting.  It is useful here to know that to get the best
results there is no substitution for editing the actual files.  So I'll
continue experimenting in that direction for now.

But is there anything lacking in Emacs' SVG and/or image support?  For
example, it would be very nice to be able to just do something similar
to what you would do with CSS in a browser: give `:height "1em" and have
it work automatically.  Is it worth filing a feature request about this,
or are we happy with the state of things?

> So modifying the files seems like the best solution to me. It works
> the best and doesn't require special code when inserting the image.

Yup.  Thanks a lot for your help!