Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 23:58:38 +0300

>> Or maybe it should use `after-change-function` to detect changes and
>> `pre-redisplay-functions` to update the list of completion.
>
> Yes, there are other hooks that could be used. I like to keep it simple as
> is and introduce nothing messy. I follow the design taken by Icomplete
> which works well.

I wonder how easy would be to improve Icomplete to display completions
in the standard buffer *Completions* instead of the minibuffer?
Then both use cases will be covered:

1. icomplete-vertical-mode for users who prefer vertical completions
   in the minibuffer;

2. vertical completions in *Completions* for users who don't like
   when the mode-line jumps up and down when completing.
   In this case the same icomplete keys could be used to navigate
   completions in the *Completions* buffer from the minibuffer
   with icomplete-forward-completions and icomplete-backward-completions,
   and icomplete-force-complete-and-exit to accept the selected completion.