Re: Java: Jump to file from stacktrace

From: Anand Tamariya
Subject: Re: Java: Jump to file from stacktrace
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 19:17:20 +0530

Thanks, but could you please describe the scenario where this feature
would be useful?  I'm not sure I understand that, especially what kind
of "log" is supposed to include a stacktrace, and what do GUD and EDE
have to do with this?
Java applications typically log execution steps in a log file. This includes exceptions as well (a sample). The log files are usually collected after reproducing the error scenario and analyzed. So these can be large. next-error command can take one straight to the stacktrace location. Using the file and line number, one can figure out possible causes of errors. If one could click on it and reach the destination, it's even better.

I'm using this for jumping into code while running debug sessions with GUD. EDE just has a handy API for finding file by name. That's why I used that as an example.