Re: Finding the dump (redux)

From: Ali Bahrami
Subject: Re: Finding the dump (redux)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 10:39:17 -0600

Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Ali Bahrami <ali_gnu2@emvision.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 09:43:46 -0600

The idea is to get the pdump data into the executable, not
by unexec-like methods, but as a simple C array, compiled
by the C compiler, and linked into emacs like a normal
object.

This has been considered back when the portable dumping ideas were
discussed.  One reason why it was rejected is because it would require
end users to have a C development toolchain if they want to re-dump
Emacs (with some of their own code added).  Support for re-dumping is
a goal in Emacs development, and although we are not there yet, doing
something that would prevent it is a non-starter.  We want users to be
able to re-dump Emacs using just Emacs and nothing else.

   Is it really a conflict? Can't we do both?

We would still have support for putting a pdump file
next to the binary, or of using the --dump-file option.
We could even retain the PATH_EXEC support if that helped.
I don't think we need to take anything away, in terms of
re-dumping Emacs using just Emacs.

What we'd be doing, is to provide the final default (backstop)
dump internally, rather than on disk. If a dump is present through
any other method, that one would be used. But if not, as I think would
be the case for most emacs users who get it via some distro package,
emacs would 'just work', without their having to even know about
pdump. Most distros wouldn't ship any separate pdmp files, but
end users could add what they want.

- Ali