Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 04:30:04 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I don't see any good way around this.  This is basic Emacs
> terminology, for which we did everything we could to document and
> clearly explain what we mean.

The way I see around it is to change that terminology.

>> I would prefer that <backspace> would just be printed as such,
>> everywhere.
>
> You can't, because not every keyboard has that key.  And because users
> still can confuse that with the BS (a.k.a. "C-h") key.

I note that any keyboard I have ever seen or used has had a backspace
key.  It is of course not interesting to me what exact control codes
that key has been sending on various machines over the years.  When
pressed, it has erased text backwards.

Most other software seems to handle such keys gracefully and
transparently.  Why can't we?