Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 13:16:33 +0000

Perhaps the easiest fix would be to handle Delete same as Backspace here.

Yes, that could alleviate the problem in this particular case.

Please don't, that would be a horribly wrong change.

I have described an obvious problem: Emacs says press DEL to scroll, the user presses Del on their keyboard, and Emacs exits instead.

All that in a Help interface, which is supposed to help newbies. Not grizzled veterans.

It's a real problem, if you want people to actually use this feature.

What about adding (define-key map [delete] 'scroll-down-command) to help-map?

Isn't that what Dmitry suggested above?

Whoops, yes, indeed, I wrote too fast. If that would be a horribly wrong change, I'd suggest to bind it to "ignore". That would at least avoid the problem of help screen disappearing when the user presses Del on their keyboard. And they would at the same time become aware of the fact that Del on their keyboard is not DEL in Emacs.