Re: `selected-frame` behavior have changed in emacs-28

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: `selected-frame` behavior have changed in emacs-28
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 18:28:43 +0000

> Hi Thierry,
>
> Thierry Volpiatto [2021-04-25 12:33:48] wrote:
>> Up to emacs-27.2 I was using this code:
>>
>>     (with-current-buffer helm-buffer
>>       (let ((frame (selected-frame)))
>>         [...]))
>>
>> selected-frame was returning the frame where helm-buffer was displayed.
>
> Note that `with-current-buffer` never affects the selected frame (nor
> the selected window), so the fact that `selected-frame` returned the
> one that displayed `helm-buffer` had nothing to do with your
> "(with-current-buffer helm-buffer".

Thanks it is what i understood but I was unsure.

>> In emacs-28, it have the same behavior when helm starts from a normal
>> buffer, but if I call helm from a minibuffer e.g. from M-:
>> selected-frame is returning the wrong frame whereas in emacs-27, the
>> frame handling helm-buffer is returned.
>> I expect here having the same behavior in emacs-27 and emacs-28.
>> Does something have changed in selected-frame?
>
> My crystal ball tells me this change is linked to Alan's changes to the
> handling of minibuffers.

I had the same idea, but I have the impression that the changes to
exit-minibuffer try to fix this behavior change, if it is the case
perhaps it would be better to fix this at root?

> I suggest you `M-x report-emacs-bug` about it

Ok will do.

> (and skip the "(with-current-buffer helm-buffer" part which just
> muddies the water).

Yes I am trying to find a suitable fix actually.

Thanks.

--
Thierry