Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 07:39:29 +0200

On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 at 20:24, Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> wrote:

> If its implementation becomes more hackish, then it would make
> more sense as an external package.  Otherwise, if we can find
> an elegant way to naturally integrate it with isearch.el,
> then this feature could make it into isearch.el.

This can be decided at any time, since an implementation exists.

It's not really that hacky.  But I don't know if it breaks some obscure
functionality or extension of Isearch.  However, contrary to my original
statement, it now works with all Isearch extensions I know/care about
(Embark, Consult, Loccur, Anzu's query-replace, pdf-tools), possibly
after applying an advice.

> But trying to make buffer-local overriding-terminal-local-map with:
>
>   (setq-local overriding-terminal-local-map isearch-mode-map)
>
> fails with an error:
>
>   Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Symbol overriding-terminal-local-map
> may not be buffer-local")
>     make-local-variable(overriding-terminal-local-map)
>     (set (make-local-variable 'overriding-terminal-local-map)
> isearch-mode-map)
>     isearch-mode(t nil nil nil)
>     isearch-forward(nil 1)

Is this overriding map there just so that `isearch-mode-map' takes
precedence over other minor mode maps?  If so, couldn't this be achieved
by manipulating minor-mode-map-alist to put Isearch's map at the top?
Maybe that can be done buffer-locally.