Re: master 289000e: Merge branch 'feature/native-comp' into trunk

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: master 289000e: Merge branch 'feature/native-comp' into trunk
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 17:33:30 +0200

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> I must be doing something differently from these people, but I can't
> identify what.  Native compilation just doesn't seem to be working for
> me, yet.  How much of a speed up should it give me?  Surely more than 5%
> - 10%?

native-comp speeds up Elisp, and even then there are lots of cases where
the change is hardly noticeable.

Let's say your code spends 90% on the C core and 10% on Elisp. If
native-comp brings a 2x speed up, you'll only observe about 5%
improvement.

C code is opaque to native-comp and puts a hard limit on how much it can
optimize Elisp. Thus I hope that in the future more and more code will
be moved from C to Elisp. And other areas can benefit too: one thing
which IMO has lots of potential is to native-compile regexps.