Re: Buffer-local process environments

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: Buffer-local process environments
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 09:00:30 +0200

Hi again,

>> But I think it's a Tramp bug.  Tramp is supposed to completely ignore
>> `process-environment', right?  So it shouldn't matter if that variable
>> is buffer local or not.
>
> No. See my reply the other message.

The following prints the words "dangerous" on emacs -Q.  Also if I
replace "/sudo::/" by any of the ssh hosts I have access to.  This isn't
expected, is it?

(let ((default-directory "/sudo::/"))
  (setq-local process-environment (cons
                                   (concat "PATH=/dangerous:" (getenv "PATH"))
                                   process-environment))
  (shell-command "echo $PATH" t))

>> True.  "Connection-local variable" sounds a lot like "project-local
>> variable" to me.  Maybe there could be a unified mechanism.
>
> No, they are not project-local. For example, via connection-local
> variables you could specify which shell to use on remote.

I was just saying there's perhaps an analogy here.  "Project-local
variables" isn't a thing, as far as I know, but perhaps something like
that could be introduced.  I'm not trying to make a concrete suggestion
right now. :-)