Re: The emacs-28 release branch has been created

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: The emacs-28 release branch has been created
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 11:01:25 -0400

From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 21:35:36 -0400

On 9/30/2021 2:30 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Barring any unexpected calamities, the first pretest of Emacs 28 will
be produced from this branch in a few weeks' time.

I apologize in advance if this has already been answered somewhere, but I'm
curious how building from a pretest tarball will work for people who want to
test native compilation.  Release tarballs always contain *.elc files, which
seem to inhibit the creation of the preloaded *.eln files.

I had assumed that commit 90655e4bc0 was intended to deal with this, but I'm not
able to see how it will work.

Good question.  That commit was indeed supposed to deal with this, but
I didn't yet have time to actually test it with a sample tarball, so
it could include bugs (I'm not too proficient with Make wizardry, and
the problem was not trivial to fix).  If you have time to produce a
tarball from the emacs-28 branch (the instructions are in
admin/make-tarball.txt) and then try building it, perhaps you could
test this and report any problems.  If not, I will get to that soon
enough.

I'll try that later today. In the meantime, I did notice one bug: src/Makefile.in is missing

  HAVE_NATIVE_COMP = @HAVE_NATIVE_COMP@

Ken