Re: The emacs-28 release branch has been created

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: The emacs-28 release branch has been created
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 15:45:43 -0400

Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 13:56:56 -0400

It turns out that those *.elc files are not in the tarball because of my own
stupid mistake.  When I ran make-dist, I got a warning about that.  I didn't
want to think about it, so I reran make-dist with --no-check rather than fixing
the problem.

Could it be that the *.elc files were not in the tarball because the
build failed at some point?

No, they weren't in the tarball because when I built emacs prior to running make-dist, I didn't specify --with-native-compilation. Currently lisp/Makefile.in has

ifneq ($(HAVE_NATIVE_COMP),yes)
compile-targets: $(filter-out ./emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.elc,$(filter-out ./emacs-lisp/comp.elc,$(TARGETS)))

That seems wrong to me.

There's still a bug in src/Makefile.in: Make could try building
native-lisp even though it exists, because the rules that create that
directory don't tell Make the directory is created as a side effect.
If and when Make tries to rune the ../native-lisp: rule, it will fail
because mkdir will fail.

I see you've fixed that now.  I'll test it while building a new tarball.

Ken