Re: input-pending-p after make-frame-visible

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: input-pending-p after make-frame-visible
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 10:28:47 +0200

> Ok, here is a repro:
>
> emacs -Q
>
> Eval:
>
> (defvar mini-frame-frame nil)
>
> (defun repro ()
>    (interactive)
>    (setq mini-frame-frame
>          (or mini-frame-frame
>              (make-frame `((parent-frame . ,(selected-frame))))))
>    (message "input-pending-p before: %S" (input-pending-p))
>    (make-frame-visible mini-frame-frame)
>    (message "input-pending-p after:  %S" (input-pending-p))
>    (make-frame-invisible mini-frame-frame))
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-x C-x") 'repro)

So IIUC 'mini-frame-frame' is always invisible in this scenario.

> Then:
>
> Switch to messages buffer
> C-x C-x
> Focus the original frame

There is nothing else to focus here.

> C-x C-x
>
> Note that input-pending-p remains nil
>
> Click the echo area

Is this "click" supposed to pop up the *Messages* buffer?

> C-x C-x
>
> Note that input-pending-p is t after showing. You have to focus the
> original frame each time, but it is consistent after clicking

Not here.  But as I said above the original frame always has focus here.
I get

input-pending-p before: t
input-pending-p after:  t
input-pending-p before: nil
input-pending-p after:  nil
input-pending-p before: nil
input-pending-p after:  nil

with the *Messages* buffer focused before the second C-x C-x and the
same if I switch back to *scratch* where you say "Focus the original
frame".

martin