Re: [ELPA] New packages: boxy, boxy-headlines

From: Tyler Grinn
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New packages: boxy, boxy-headlines
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 12:35:59 -0400

>> That's what I've gathered to, so to get around that is why I'm using
>> face-spec-set. The behavior I want is this: update the face if a user
>> has not independently customized it already. If I simply changed the
>> defface, only new users would get the new theme. Existing users would
>> have to re-apply the standard definition or restart emacs.
>
> What you want is not specific to your theme, so it's best to
> fix it at its source rather than work around it with non-standard code.
> I suggest you `M-x report-emacs-bug` and request this behavior.

Will do.

>> (boxy--inherited boxy--padding-y :padding-y boxy--default-padding-y)
>>
>> But this results in
>> Warning: Unknown slot ‘:padding-y’
>> Warning: Unknown slot ‘:parent’
>
> You don't have any slot named `:parent` nor `:padding-y`.
> You're confusing the slots's names with the slots's initargs.
>
> You want:
>
>     (slot-boundp box 'parent)
>
> rather than
>
>     (slot-boundp box :parent)
>
> BTW, while I don't like `defclass` (preferring `cl-defstruct`), one of
> its neat features is the ability to override `slot-unbound`, which
> should let you implement in a kind of "transparent" way the kind of
> fallback mechanism that you're trying to implement with
> `boxy--inherited`.

That's an interesting revelation! I'll have to give that some thought
but I think it'll be useful for more than just inheritance.

>>> +  (let ((inhibit-message t))     ;FIXME: Please report the message as an
>>> error.
>>>      (setq indent-tabs-mode nil)
>>>      (cursor-sensor-mode t)
>>>      (toggle-truncate-lines t)))
>>
>> This doesn't even do what I want. I don't want 'Truncate long lines
>> enabled' to be printed to the minibuffer when entering boxy mode, but it
>> shows regardless. What exactly does the FIXME mean here and how do I
>> stop that message?
>
> The FIXME means that `toggle-truncate-lines` should not emit the message
> at all in this case, just like `cursor-sensor-mode` doesn't emit
> a message when called as above.
> IOW, you should `M-x report-emacs-bug` and complain about it.

Ok will do.

Thanks again for taking a look at this. I had some issues with the ELPA
deployment but I think I took care of them.

It looks like ELPA grabbed code from before I sent the first email. From
the beginning of the boxy-headlines repo I've been using 1.0.0 as the
version so maybe that explains it. There's a call to
org-real--add-headline which was renamed to
boxy-headlines--add-headline. I just pushed out version 1.0.1 with your
changes to both projects, so that should update boxy-headlines, right?

It looks like .elpaignore should only use relative paths. I will update
those accordingly so the test cases in boxy.el are not compiled.

The brief for boxy-headlines looks a little awkward in org format. If I
add the README.org and demo folder to .elpaignore it should fall back to
the "Commentary" and shrink the package size considerably.

Tyler