Re: character sets as they relate to “Raw” string literals for elisp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: character sets as they relate to “Raw” string literals for elisp
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 16:15:50 +0300

> Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 13:08:35 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, rms@gnu.org, juri@linkov.net, db48x@db48x.net,
>   stefankangas@gmail.com, yuri.v.khan@gmail.com, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> > > --- (EM DASH) appears as an inverse question mark on my screen.  So do
> > > several other punctuation marks, I think.
>
> > That means the display-time replacement doesn't happen, I think.  What
> > is your terminal-coding-system?
>
> M-: default-terminal-coding-system says utf-8-unix.  I haven't set this
> in my site-start.el or .emacs.

That explains it, I think: info.el thinks your console can display
those characters.

> I have my font set to Latin-1.  More precisely,
>
>     consolefont="lat1-16"
>
> in my /etc/conf.d/consolefont.

Are there any other possible values that will cause these characters
display correctly?  Or is the Linux console unable to display them no
matter what?

Regardless, we could have a customizable option in info.el to force
display of the Unicode punctuation as their ASCII equivalents, even if
the terminal seems capable of the Unicode display.