Re: Some improvements for cl-flet

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Some improvements for cl-flet
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 19:33:41 -0400

  > People largely agree that with-slots is beneficial, for example.  with-slots
  > wouldn't be possible without symbol-macrolet.

`with-slots' seems unnecessary to me too -- at least, to implement it
this way.  Why not just bind the local variables to the contents of
the slots, and copy the variables' values back into OBJECT before
exiting?

That would give bad results in some asynchronous operations, where
reading and writing slots may need to be atomic.  But that is a rare
thing to do in Emacs Lisp.  On those rare occasions one could make the
code clear by explicitly accessing the slots.  Is making those rare
occasions' code simpler (by hiding how it works) enough reason to have
`with-slots'?