Re: Installing the current emacs-28 branch under Windows 10

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Installing the current emacs-28 branch under Windows 10
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 21:59:12 +0300

> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
> Cc: phillip.lord@russet.org.uk,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 20:02:43 +0200
>
> uidg1626@VSL7V7PW MINGW64 /d/Emacs/emacs (emacs-28)
> $ git config --list |grep crlf
> core.autocrlf=true

Bad idea: it should be 'false'.  Git should not change the EOLs,
neither when it checks out files, nor when it pushes them upstream.

I'm not sure this is the root cause of your problem, but it might be.
Suggest to reconfigure Git, and then delete your local repository and
clone it again.

> Must be the default for this git installation on Windows, I didn't touch
> it.

When you install Git, it asks you how you want to treat EOLs, and you
should have selected "checkout as-is, checkin as-is" (or somesuch, I
don't remember the exact wording).

> A sample of text files are encoded in undecided-dos in the emacs
> repo.  Do the files need to be encoded in Unix style line endings for
> MinGW tools?

Not for MinGW, for MSYS.  The autotools you run are MSYS tools, and
MSYS is a fork of Cygwin; Cygwin tools expect Unix-style EOLs, yes.
They could definitely choke if they see Windows-style CRLF EOLs.