Re: project-find-file: switch to include non-tracked files

From: Manuel Uberti
Subject: Re: project-find-file: switch to include non-tracked files
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 14:06:28 +0200

On 14/10/21 14:01, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
As an aside, I can see what kind of problem this is solving, and this is a (meta) problem by itself. We need, like, ignores which are still honored when we don't use any other ignore instructions. Maybe a separate variable or something? AFAICS helm-ls-git doesn't have anything for this.

The above will continue to work until we try to move the listing logic to a backend-specific method. Then vc-directory-exclusion-list won't be referenced anymore. That's the main reason this feature is not in emacs-28 anyway.

I didn't know about this.

Also note that 'find' gets a noticeable slowdown the more ignore entries we ask it to handle. Consider removing some entries from vc-directory-exclusion-list as well.

Interesting, I didn't know about this either, but see below.

As a rough guess, perhaps some directories in this repo are not readable for
you?

Yes, great tip, you nailed it. There is one directory I cannot read in there, so I just added that to vc-directory-exclusion-list and everything works as expected now.

Thanks a lot!

--
Manuel Uberti
www.manueluberti.eu