Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 14:48:35 +0200

Le lundi 11 octobre 2021 23:16:31 CEST, vous avez écrit :

> We have not yet studied the SSPL.  Many other things have seemed
> to be higher priority.  But since it has been rejected as "open source",
> I suppose it won't qualify as free either.

I wasn’t sure, and was hoping to see yet another occasion to show a
distinction between free and open-source philosophy.  The only case where
SSPL obligates the (non-end) user to do something, is actually in the
interest of the end-user… “if it’s the same service, publish everything”…

> I tend to think that trying to impose copyright-based rules
> that stretch beyond the bounds of one single program
> is abuse of copyright, based on what I learned in the past.

That may be very wise.  But I’m not sure…

What if such a thing was used for a GCC LSP-server? THAT would be
extreeemely useful, and was never done because proprietary software is so
ubiquitous that it would benefit proprietary software… because currently
dynamic linkage between gcc and emacs would be fine because it would force
both to be free, while the *same usage* using a binary-agnostic protocol
would not spread the GPL…  to me it seems non-technical, and it’s
preventing technical integration between GNU software so…