Re: align mysteries

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: align mysteries
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 12:10:35 +0200

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> C-u M-x align-regexp
>
>     Complex align using regexp: \(\s-*\)      [add one space at the end]
>     Parenthesis group to modify (justify if negative): 1
>     Amount of spacing (or column if negative): 1
>     Repeat throughout line? (y or n) y
>
> The resulting text:
>
>     foo     bar  zot
>     lalala  y    indeed
>
> I don't quite understand those options but I mostly accepted the
> defaults. For the first question I had to add one space (see above).

Aah, I see; thanks.  I tried `M-x align-regexp', too, but without the
prefix, which (again) didn't really seem to do what you'd expect.  But
the doc string for that command at least mentions the prefix argument.
But makes it sound like it's more cumbersome:

---
Non-interactively (or if you specify a prefix argument), you must
enter the full regular expression, including the subexpression.
---

While instead it gives you defaults and a guided tour through the other
parameters.