Re: GNU ELPA package proposal: visual-fill-column

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA package proposal: visual-fill-column
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 17:17:16 +0200

> No, `package.el` is not smart enough.  The reason is that the version
> numbers used by MELPA don't match the ones used in GNU ELPA, so the
> MELPA versions always seem to be "much higher" than the ones in GNU ELPA
> (e.g. 20180223.223 > 5.7.2).

Maybe we should fix that.  Could it be as easy as looking for version
numbers starting with "YYYYMMDD", and if there is no package available
with a version formatted that way, just assume that the currently
highest numbered "normally versioned" package is more recent?

It's easy to think of hypothetical scenarios where it would break, but
it should work for the specific case of GNU ELPA, NonGNU ELPA and
MELPA, at least.