Re: Entering emojis

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 17:40:28 +0200

> Whatever we may think of Emojis, many people find them a very useful
> tool for communication.  So I agree with Eli that they belong in
> "textmodes" rather than "play".  Or perhaps "mail" or "net"?  But also
> consider that we could just put them in the top-level "lisp" directory
> together with a lot of other random stuff.

I'd rather not put more stuff at the top level if I can help it...  So
perhaps "textmodes" is the most likely thing?  Even if it doesn't really
have anything in particular to do with text-mode derivatives, really.

> BTW, morse.el is an outlier in the "play" category, IMO.  I don't know
> why it was put there when rot13.el was not; rot13.el is a more obvious
> candidate for "play" as it can really only be used for joking around,
> while morse code is a serious and useful tool for communication.
>
> (I'd be in favour of "git mv lisp/rot13.el lisp/play".)

I'm in favour of not moving anything.  :-)  But otherwise I agree.

Anyway, nobody's come up with any alternative ideas for key bindings, so
I'm tentatively putting these commands on the `C-x 8 e' submap.