Re: Entering emojis

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Entering emojis
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 22:15:58 +0300

> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:56:54 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: raman@google.com, mattiase@acm.org, schwab@linux-m68k.org,
>     stefankangas@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > I don't think they are (at least they weren't last time I tried), but
> > please show the display of HELLO with that font.  If they fixed the
> > font, it's good news.
> >

> Here they are.  One with Noto Sans, one with the free Aegyptus font, and
> one with the latest Aegyptus font.  As far as I can see, the X001 and Q003
> hieroglyphs are (correctly?) combined, which is (I guess) what you wanted
> to see.

Thanks, but that's not how this is supposed to look.  It should look
like here:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egypt#Historical_development

The layout in the vertical direction is completely incorrect in all of
the images you show.  Basically, it looks like the vertical layout of
hieroglyphs above other hieroglyphs is either unsupported or doesn't
work.

Maybe I made mistakes in the composition machinery, and that's why it
doesn't display correctly.  But it sounds unlikely, because I see in
your images glyphs that shouldn't be there (they are control
characters which should disappear from display).  Or maybe HarfBuzz
doesn't yet support this script well enough.